So, as I was saying, he launched this blog on Oct. 13, with a post called "Let me ask you," in which he encouraged people to post in the comment field about why they are Republicans. Here's exactly what he said:The Internet has been around a while now. But I still find it an amazing platform for innovation not just in technology, but also in life. Beyond admiring the way it powers so many inventions and businesses, it has become a personal thing for me. I love the fact that, wherever I might be, I can use technology to see my family and chat with them, and utilize social media to tap into what my friends are doing.Sounds like a good plan. Open up a conversation with Republicans about what they like about the party. Solicit useful feedback. Get regular people involved. Answer their questions and concerns. Nice.
Today, I want to begin to better connect with Republicans everywhere.
My first blog entry, therefore, is really a couple of questions for you. Use the comment button to send me replies and we will run as many questions as we can. I’ll be responding personally to each one.
So how has this personal process worked out for Mr. Steele so far? In the
14 days after that initial foray into blogging, 81 comments were published to Steele's post. Almost all are well written variations on the theme of "I thought long and hard, did my research, and decided that the Republican Party reflects my values as a patriot and someone who believes in small government." Moderated much?
And what did Steele have to say in response to all this feedback? 0 comments, 0 new posts.
Today, 15 days after Steele's original post, he finally published a second one -- a response to a woman named Laurie who believes in free markets and small government, once took in a homeless girl, and decided because of that experience that government can't solve economic problems. Wow, a Republican Party PR firm couldn't have written that post better. Hmmmmmm.
I don't think Mr. Steele understands how blogs work. They are open conversations. Not choreographed marketing exercises.
If this is how "Change the Game" continues to operate, I wouldn't expect it to last much longer.
Image: screenshot of the GOP.com Web site banner spotlighting "GOP hero"Joseph Rainey.
No comments:
Post a Comment